Why Handmade in Australia?

Handmade is all about connections.  Relationships and finding meaning through simply produced products made by hand with local Australian talent and brilliant design. 

As a child of the 70's, growing up with three television channels and a single department store in my town, Handmade was something I was not grateful for - I grew up expecting it.

My Nan knitted, my Auntie sewed, my mother printed and etched her own designs.

Growing up in a creative, diverse family where everyone had some sort of talent or another, we all came to think this was pretty much a sort of normal inner city existence.

Now, as a father of three individual young girls, it is clear to me the differences between my upbringing and the experience I can offer my daughters.

Faced with the candy-coloured ubiquity of Disney characters, limited choices at Department stores and grandparents who are only too willing to spend big on these bland, character-less offerings, I spoke with my wife about what we could do as individuals to give our daughters an option outside of the corporate juggernauts.

So we started avoiding McDonald's as a given - if Nan wanted to take them it was her free choice and whatever - but as parents we would only go to local takeaway options. 

Meeting the owners and seeing them work their magic whether it be Italian, Thai, Japanese or Fish and Chips, over time we would establish relationships and give the girls a sense of place.  Just having the confidence to pay for a $15 bag of fish and chips is inspiring in itself.

Then, it moved on to buying gifts and the whole introduction to the shopping experience.  As a business owner, my daughters know when I call out "Made a Sale!" or something similar and they are growing up knowing the importance of delivering on time, every time. Working from home, they understand some calls are more "important" than others



Now, we rarely walk the air conditioned halls of the shopping mega-plex.

We have paid for that air conditioning, and the cleaning, and having well dressed gentlemen come and talk to us about our "position going forward" - we don't need it.

Being an independent business owner is the best thing we have ever done

And of course, I would love to share my story with you, we are survivors, hard working and adaptable, but above all willing to take that feeling in the gut decision when it is on.

Not waiting, or over thinking it.

Being confident and backing ourselves to get the job done.

And that is why we started this blog about Australian Handmade Design.

4 comments:

  1. There is so much more out there once you get a feel for this - keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Finding the right market for your stall can be more a matter of planning than just good luck.

    ReplyDelete